Strafford County A.R.E.S. holds weekly over the air training nets. The training nets are held every Wednesday evening at 7:30 pm. Tune your amateur radio or scanner to 147.000 mhz. with a pl of 100.0 and for tx purposes use a - offset. We use the W1SRA repeater located on Saddleback Mtn., in Deerfield NH with thanks to the W1SRA Repeater Assoc for the continued support. Following our training net on W1SRA, we also host a digital training net on 145.510 simplex at 8:30 pm.This is a mixed voice and digital net using various digital modes.
Net topics and schedule can be found on the forms & documents section of our web site.
Training and continued education are very important for members. We hold monthly training meetings as well as participate in served agency drills. One very important drill we prepare for is the bi-yearly Seabrook Station exercise. With two communities in our region being sheltering areas, it is important we train on a regular basis to provide the 110% needs for local, state and federal government agencies.
The following courses are highly recommended and some are required to take part in ARES.
FEMA Independent Study Courses Here
Basic Level - Recommended For All ARES Members
- IS100.b Introduction to the Incident Command System (ICS)
- IS200.b ICS for Single Resources
- IS700 Introduction to the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- IS775 EOC Operations
- IS800.b Introduction to the National Response Framework
- ARRL Introduction to Emergency Communications
Advanced Level - Recommended for ARES Leadership
- IS1 Emergency Manager - an intro to the position
- IS15.a Special Events Contingency Planning for Public Safety Agencies
- IS102 Deployment Basics for FEMA Response Partners
- IS120.a Introduction to Exercises
- IS130 Exercise Evaluation and Improvement Planning
- IS139 Exercise Design
- IS230 Principles of Emergency Management
- IS235 Emergency Planning
- IS240 Leadership and Influence
- IS241 Decision Making and Problem Solving
- IS242 Effective Communication
- IS244 Developing and Managing Volunteers
- IS250 ESF 15 - External Affairs
- IS271 Anticipating Hazardous Weather & Community Risk
- IS288 Role of Voluntary Agencies
- IS701 NIMS Multi agency Coordination System (MACS) Course
- IS703 NIMS Resource Management
- IS802 ESF-2 Emergency Communications Support